RE: WINDOW_UPDATE with streamid = 0 redundant?

But implementations not only do, but should send updates beyond the initial size.  For example, the HTTP/2 equivalent to an Expect: 100-continue is to advertise a small window to the client.  Most requests will never hit the window, because they'll be GETs without bodies.  The client opens and half-closes the stream without ever sending a flow-controlled frame on it.  If small is non-zero and appropriately-sized, many POSTS can be completed in the same way.

For the case where the client wants to POST something large, the server has specified how much it can send without the server having "approved" it.  After the server sees the headers and initial portion of the body, it will send back either a WINDOW_UPDATE (i.e. continue), a HEADERS (e.g. 403, need auth before I'll take this), or a RST_STREAM (bad request).  It avoids having so much data in flight when the server expects it can make a decision without seeing all of the body and have a response racing with wasted payload.  It gives the server the ability to trade off wasted data versus a wasted RTT - but if the server decides to continue, the WINDOW_UPDATE will presumably be many times the initial stream window.

Basically, they serve different purposes - the session-level flow control prevents overwhelming your peer with more data than they can take.  The per-stream flow control prevents one stream crowding out the others within that allowed space.

From: Daniel Sommermann [mailto:dcsommer@fb.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 3:06 PM
To: Roberto Peon
Cc: Martin Thomson; HTTP Working Group
Subject: Re: WINDOW_UPDATE with streamid = 0 redundant?

Ah I see, the problem is that individual streams may send WINDOW_UPDATE such that their size exceeds their SETTINGS_INITIAL_WINDOW_SIZE, and that would increase the size of the connection window above it's desired size unexpectedly.

If clients never sent WINDOW_UPDATEs such that the window exceeded its initial size I think the proposal could work, but that is common practice now. Thanks for the clarification.