Trusted Proxy Alternatives Analysis

From: Peter Lepeska <bizzbyster@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 12:19:05 -0500
To: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, brian@briansmith.org
In Zurich there was a request to look into the viability of alternative
technologies for the trusted proxy use cases. To help organize thoughts
around this, I've created a table listing each use case from
https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/wiki/Proxy-User-Stories and an attempt
to describe how each of these cases can be addressed using today's
technology as well as alternatives:
https://github.com/bizzbyster/TrustedProxy/wiki/Trusted-Proxy-Use-Case-Analysis-and-Alternatives

This is just a straw man attempt to provide some organization so feel free
to question, comment and suggest improvements.

In summary, I think all use cases where the user owns the device are
inadequately solved by today's technology. As for alternatives, CDNs
partially address a subset of the use cases potentially, and then only on a
site by site basis.

Thanks,

Peter