Re: How to handle HTTP/2 negotiation failure WRT TLS

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 4:42 PM, William Chan (陈智昌) <willchan@chromium.org>wrote:

> It's not clear to me what "this wasn't an issue" means. I'm guessing
> that means that what we have in the spec is OK and it's not necessary
> to discuss how to handle negotiation failure and just let
> implementations figure it out. That's fine by me.
>
> I observe that as per
>
> http://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/netwerk/protocol/http/Http2Session.cpp
> ,
> Firefox appears to hard fail. And my inclination is to enforce the
> same policy in Chromium. This will affect other implementations that
> wish to interoperate with these browsers.

This seems like a no brainer to me.

HTTP/2 is negotiated via ALPN. If the server selects HTTP/2 and also does
something that is non-compliant with HTTP/2 that's a protocol error, not a
negotiation error.

afaict, failing to use TLS 1.2 is an example that isn't really any
different than sending a data frame > 14bits long. HTTP/2 has rules - if
you can't follow them then run a different protocol, right?

> want me/Chromium to share half-baked thoughts on stuff, that's fine
> and I will stop sharing them. Sorry for the noise.

phhhbt.