Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-chan-http2-stream-dependencies-00.txt

A few unstructured thoughts about prioritization:

1) I think the idea of moving from priority levels to a dependency
structure is a clear improvement. It mirrors both the discussion in Seattle
and even the initial ideas back in San Francisco when moving to a 31-bit
priority field.

2) I think there is merit to the idea of being able to have "groupings" of
priorities, whether that is through weighting, pointers, the "ordered"
flag, etc. I'm not positive how best to communicate this and how to make
sure implementations avoid starvation, but I think it helps proxies, which
brings me to thought #3.

3) I think there is work to be done to figure out how to make priorities
proxy-able. Flow control and push are fairly easy to proxy. With flow
control you can assign window sizes to proxied connections based on
whatever fairness mechanism you want. With push you can reject, cache, or
translate pushed responses. With priority it becomes trickier which is
another reason I favor the "weighted dependency tree" approach. Otherwise
you have to figure out how to merge the levels and it becomes harder to
transmit the clients dependency tree through the proxy to the server.

4) I feel uneasy about changing the eventually synchronous nature of the
stream lifecycle or needing to hold onto state until I receive peer
acknowledgement. If I am an intermediary and I am trying to translate
priorities do I need to wait for synchronization events on both connections?

So is the proposed scheme an improvement? Well, I think that depends on
what the behavior is when I drop nodes as soon as the stream closes. If the
answer is that it irreparably breaks the dependency tree, then really I get
more information from the client using flat levels because I lose the
anchor for that part of the graph.

So I guess the tl;dr , after you've read my far too long rambling thoughts,
is

I think we should be moving to a dependency based priority scheme similar
to the one described, but anything that requires synchronizing stream state
for maintaining required invariants probably isn't viable.

But again, thanks so much for actually writing all of this down as a draft!
:)