Re: HPACK: replace Huffman by possibly faster and more efficient FSE (Finite State Entropy)

From: Michael Sweet <msweet@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 11:31:23 -0500
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org, Roberto Peon <fenix@google.com>, Hervé Ruellan <herve.ruellan@crf.canon.fr>
To: Frédéric Kayser <f.kayser@free.fr>
Frédéric,

Certainly looks interesting, although IMHO all of this focus on compression for HTTP/2.0 is premature - yes, we can reduce the size of the request/response headers even more, but once you get past optimizing the initial request/response (initial page load time) any further gains are just "nice to have".

Better to have a simpler HTTP/2.0 that achieves the chartered goals than to create a much harder to implement HTTP/2.0 that offers only a modest improvement in perceived performance/responsiveness.  And IMHO adding Huffman or FSE falls into the "harder to implement for a modest improvement" category.