Re: CRLF requirement

On 2014–06–30, at 9:16 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> I'm not sure why you think publishing has any merit. As long as the
> running code is different, it's just a bug.

CR doesn’t appear in the grammar, so it has no well-defined meaning. Accepting and sanitizing malformed input is only sometimes considered a bug.

> Given that all major clients do it, I think the evidence should be
> sought elsewhere.

Such formatting is probably found most often in MacRoman files. (This encoding was deprecated at the beginning of the century, as mentioned.) Yet, the latest Eclipse editor bizarrely defaults to it on OS X. I forget, though, whether it defaults to CR endings or only to the ASCII extensions. Anyway, such behavior is completely anachronistic.

Yes, a lot of low-level code in popular products is more than 12 years old. No, that’s not a bad thing. Yet, it doesn’t imply that nothing should ever be deprecated. Especially this.