Re: Proxies (includes call for adopting new work item, call for input)

On 2014-06-15 22:03, Martin Nilsson wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 20:58:52 +0200, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
>
>> So far, the proxy-related work that seems to have some level of
>> consensus to continue upon has been:
>>
>> ## HTTP Proxy Problems
>>
>> IIRC Julian volunteered to edit this if we choose to adopt it. Julian,
>> is that still the case?
>>
>> Do people support adopting this as a WG Draft (with a target of
>> Informational)? If not, please explain why.
>
> I approve of this, and when Julian and I spoke in New York I promised to
> support him with any information he needs from me.

One thing we have discussed already is that we should have some text
that covers proxies that are essentially proprietary and hard-wired, and
might not even talk proper HTTP. For instance, Google's Data Compression
Proxy (using SPDY between UA and proxy), or Opera Turbo.

There's the deployment aspect (does this fall under "3.4 Configuration
As Side Effect"?), and also the fact that the protocol spoken between UA
and proxy might not even be HTTP (does this merit a new section somewhere?).

Finally, there are cases where part of the UA functionality is moved
into the network, such as in Opera mini - do we consider that as
"proxying" as well (methinks yes, because it shares most of the
considerations of classical proxies).

*If* we want to adopt this as a WG document (which I support) then we
have two weeks left to submit it as 00.

Best regards, Julian