Re: Stuck in a train -- reading HTTP/2 draft.

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 14:49:44 +1000
Cc: Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
To: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>

On 18 Jun 2014, at 8:29 pm, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> I'm starting to really hate the entire HEADER+CONTINUATION kludge
> upon kludge upon kludge hackery.
>
> My preference would be to impose sanity by simply removing CONTINUATION
> and telling cookie monsters that if their HPACK compressed HTTP
> headers do not fit in 16k, they should consider a diet.

One thing that came up in a side conversation in NYC was the possibility of only HPACKing the HEADERS frame; subsequent CONTINUATION frames would be uncompressed (so they don't affect state, and could be flow controlled).

I kinda like it, YMMV.

At any rate, a server (origin or proxy) is perfectly within its rights to 431 Request Header Fields Too Large any request that has a CONTINUATION, and then reset the stream. They'll learn pretty soon...

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/