Re: Trusted proxy UI strawman

> It's simply unreasonable to imagine that users -- real users out
> there, not "users" that really means operators, or content providers,
> or browser makers, or whatever -- will have the first idea what
> they're really giving up by accepting the proxy

But the situation is much worse today! Look at the dialog on the left: http://caffeinatetheweb.com/presentations/trusted_proxy.html#/3

At least what I am proposing involves telling the user explicitly that the certificate enables the proxy to decrypt and alter traffic. And then provides an indication that it is active and a means to disable it. You don't see this as an improvement over the current MITM functionality supported in all the mainstream browsers?

Again, because pinning is not enforced if the trust anchor is a user installed CA, browser manufacturers are in fact choosing to support MITM proxies. But they are doing it without informing the user when it is being enabled and without any indication to the user when it's active.  I don't understand why anyone would defend the status quo on this.

Stephen doesn't like my metaphor, but I still see not improving this as burying our heads in the sand.

Thanks,

Peter