Re: Negotiating compression

From: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 17:57:07 +0200
To: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>
CC: Nicholas Hurley <hurley@todesschaf.org>, "Richard Wheeldon (rwheeldo)" <rwheeldo@cisco.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Michael Sweet <msweet@apple.com>, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>

On 5/28/14, 5:52 PM, James M Snell wrote:

> So are we getting back to the "they can just keep using http/1.1"
> argument or do I misunderstand your point?

Yes.  That's not to say people shouldn't adapt HTTP/2 to other uses.
Just that HTTP/2 needn't adapt to *all* uses.  And perhaps the onus
should be on those who don't want to do compression to indicate that
HTTP/2 to them is still useful.  If there are enough of them, this is an
easily solved problem: just use another identifier of HTTP/2 in ALPN
that indicates no compression. h2c is taken.

Eliot