Negotiating compression

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 10:54:14 -0700
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
The long and rambling thread on schedule has again started to discuss
HPACK.  A point was made regarding negotiation for its use.

I don't think that negotiation is necessary.  The argument regarding
the physics, which would dictate the use of an entire RTT for
negotiation, is compelling, but I have others.  The only reason you
want negotiation is if you want to be able to influence the behaviour
of a counterparty.

A sizable advantage can be gained by modifying your own behaviour,
which HPACK always permits.  Given that the data you care most about
protecting is usually the stuff that you send, I'm willing to bet that
this is good enough in the unlikely event that an attack is
discovered.