Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-http2-encryption-03.txt

On 26 May 2014 17:08, Martin Nilsson <nilsson@opera.com> wrote:
> #2 As a transparent proxy you could observe a client make a request, get an
> response lacking alt-svc, and inject one to get the client to connect
> through TLS to the proxy (given client support). The proxy needs a way to
> distinguish between these TLS connections and "real" (opportunistic or
> https-initiated) TLS connections from the client, which currently can only
> be done by picking a differnt port that is unlikely (or probed not) to be in
> use. It would mess with alt-svc caching however.

I think that the decision so far has been to keep proxy use orthogonal
to its operation.

Yes, as defined, a transparent proxy could opportunistically upgrade
either (or both) links that it maintains.  It won't be able to make
this situation more permanent though, that would enable a DoS attack.