Re: Support for gzip at the server #424 (Consensus Call)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 11:44:49 +0200
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
CC: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On 2014-04-28 08:53, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> On 27 Apr 2014, at 2:03 am, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Not convinced.
>>
>> If it's a characteristic of the representation, why can't the client sending the representation decide on it?
>
> Because that would be a unilateral decision, just like the client deciding that itís going to send application/foobar+baz to your resource.

I don't understand the comparison.

A client can send any payload type it wants. The server can reject it if
it doesn't understand it. This applies both to media types an content
encodings.

What I'm looking for is to *encourage* servers to understand C-E gzip.

(And yes, the compression changes might address my use case, but I
haven't looked into those yet)

Best regards, Julian