Re: Frame Length Restrictions

On 21 April 2014 15:57, Jeff Pinner <jpinner@twitter.com> wrote:
> The goals here are:
>
> 1) achieve a desired (to-be-provided) frame length distribution
> 2) achieve this with the minimum amount of padding
> 3) achieve the desired distribution regardless of the input data stream
>
> The intend is not to avoid reframing, it's to avoid a discontinuity in the
> output distribution.

Then those goals can be achieved without changing anything.
Re-packaging frames into smaller chunks allows you to meet those
goals.

I can understand if there are END_SEGMENT flags in place that this
complicates things.  But completely-full frames with END_SEGMENT
should be a pathological case.

> Now, if I operate under the assumption that an adversary can force my server
> to produce full size frames, [...]

This is where we have the disconnect.  If an adversary has that much
control over your code, I don't trust *anything* you are sending me.
What's padding going to do to help then?