Call for Consensus: HTTP/2 Priorities Proposal

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 16:37:37 +1000
Cc: Jeff Pinner <jpinner@twitter.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
To magnify this a bit --

So far, I've heard reactions that range from neutrality to general support for Jeff's proposal <https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/pull/453>.

We're late for declaring our next implementation draft, and have a few issues to clean up. So, unless I hear significant pushback on doing so in the next ~3 days, we'll incorporate Jeff's pull request into -12 and call that an implementation draft (along with any other changes we agree upon).

Keep in mind that this is deciding what to put into the next implementation draft -- we may still add to it or even change it based upon our experience with it and NYC. That said, we also have a strong desire to finish this work, so we don't have too many iterations to play with it.

Regards,

On 18 Apr 2014, at 11:17 am, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8 April 2014 16:23, Jeff Pinner <jpinner@twitter.com> wrote:
>> I believe it would be simpler (both conceptually and in practice) to
>> slightly modify the priority structure.
>
> Looking back at this, this proposal makes the following two changes:
>
> 1. removes priority groups
>
> 2. adds weights at all levels of the dependency tree (as opposed to
> just at the grouping layer)
>
> The first removes some capabilities, as has been noted elsewhere.  The
> ability to create and weight a named thing that is independent of any
> stream is a features, but it's also complexity.  This is a net
> complexity loss.

I think you mean "improvement" here...

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/