Re: Optimizing Huffman inputs

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 15:09:53 -0700
To: Ilari Liusvaara <ilari.liusvaara@elisanet.fi>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 13 April 2014 02:04, Ilari Liusvaara <ilari.liusvaara@elisanet.fi> wrote:
> The character set of cookies seems odd. Is '(' allowed without quoting?
> And why is there '>' but not '<'?

I ripped the list of characters from RFC 6265.  I thought that this
was odd, but I'm fairly certain that the folks writing this spec knew
what they were doing.  It's entirely possible that I introduced an
error when transcribing, but that one is (I think) right.

> Is the idea to choose encoding of random octet strings so that it is of
> minimal size after Huffman?

That's right.  The idea is to favour '0' or '1', which have four bit
encodings, over symbols with longer encodings.