Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-http2-encryption-02.txt

On 2013/12/16 8:24, Stephen Farrell wrote:

> One problem with that is that startcom is only free for 2nd level
> domains (iirc). For those its great and I've used it and would
> recommend it - once I had mail setup for the domain it only took
> 20 minutes to get all the cert stuff sorted. Having said that,
> I've no idea how secure any of their stuff is, but for a case
> where all I want is to get rid of the stupid cert warning dialog,
> what they do is just fine.
>
> But, AFAIK, there's nothing I can get for e.g. my server at
> https://down.dsg.cs.tcd.ie/ Now in theory I could get something
> done via tcd.ie but that's in fact not possible due to our fun
> central university IT folks (same old story:-) and the way that
> the cs n/w in college is autonomous from the rest of tcd.ie.

Hello Stephen,

Thanks for the heads-up! I was occasionally day-dreaming about getting a
free certificate for my site. But I'm in exactly the same situation as
you (five levels deep, central university IT,...). On top of that, I
have organized my stuff so that I use different domains for different
services, which as I understand means I need multiple certs. But maybe
some day I'll try with self-signed ones, especially for the
student-oriented services, because I could tell my students how to check
that they get the right cert.

Regards,   Martin.