Re: disabling header compression

On 13 December 2013 08:27, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com> wrote:

> Protocol negotiation is extremely useful.
> You can happily translate any time I say "ALPN" to mean "protocol
> negotiation using the registry used for ALPN"

Are you proposing a protocol negotiation phase for non-TLS HTTP?  Would
this occur at a lower level (or earlier, like DNS), or inside HTTP itself,
or in a new intermediate level?  How would it integrate with a HTTP1->2
upgrade mechanism?

> Don't worry so much :)

I had the same reaction as Amos, just not the brass to voice it.  If any
negotiation that happens in ALPN affects the semantics of the HTTP session,
then there really should be a pathway to achieve it without requiring
support for ( that particular ALPN protocol token | ALPN in general | TLS
).  It seems a bit ripe saying: you can negotiate leaving out the
complexity of supporting compression, but only if you add in the complexity
of supporting TLS+ALPN.

--
  Matthew Kerwin
  http://matthew.kerwin.net.au/