Re: Our ALPN protocol IDs

On 6 Dec 2013, at 7:55 pm, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@laposte.net> wrote:

> Le Ven 6 décembre 2013 01:04, Mark Nottingham a écrit :
>
>> If changes are backwards-compatible, there's no need to change the
>> protocol identifier on the wire; if they aren't, it's not a minor
>> revision.
>
> If you don't advertise minor you give up on adding features in a minor
> version. Only knowing the major version means you have to restrict
> yourself to using what was available in the .0 version.

No, it must means you don’t indicate the addition of new features to a linear minor version number — which we don’t (and can’t) use anyway in HTTP/1 (because lots of software already rejects HTTP/1.2 outright).

Deciding not to link new features into a new version != disallowing new features.

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/