Re: Our ALPN protocol IDs

On 6/12/2013 3:40 p.m., Adrien de Croy wrote:

> I'd still advertise the highest supported version.  The receiver can
> then at least decide what to do.
>
> Any protocol I ever had the misfortune to work with that didn't have a
> version field was a train wreck when it came to extending or changing it.

We do have the Connection Header magic which is transmitted on all
connections regardless of mechanism used to start the protocol. This
contains the "HTTP/2.0" moniker embeded, so it would seem we do already
have the version transmitted in some form already. It is just not
transmitted per-message like HTTP/1.

** all version 3.0 need do is change the magic

** version 2.x are supposed to be binary capable, so I would think these
are all limited to extensions adding new frames types and mechanism
semantics.

No train wreck or problems there. *provided* we get a clear consensus
and definition of what 2.0 proxies etc is to do with those
unknown/future frame types.

Amos