Re: What will incentivize deployment of explicit proxies?

The fact that everyone does it does not mean it's a good thing or that
we should do it more.

But the fact is that I don't see how we can avoid leaving it to the
user. When designing a protocol or a browser, we have no idea if the
user is going to be working for example.com (making sslproxy.example.com
acceptable), or not. We also don't have a good concept of "location",
which would allow us to know if the browser is currently located on a
network at the example.com offices. We also don't know whether
IdaratAlAmnAlSiyasi.gov.sy is acceptable or not. They're hard choices,
but only the user can make them.

It might be prudent to sacrifice expediency and block all access through
unrecognized proxies. Adding an explicit proxy would then have to be
done through a different UI, not a prompt that surprises a user who is
trying to do something. If, as Adrien says, this is something that only
happens once (when you get a new device or when the workplace installs a
proxy) then configuring this once is likely OK. If these things start
popping up in coffee shops, hotels, and your ISP connection, then we'll
need something else.

Yoav