Re: What will incentivize deployment of explicit proxies?

On 3/12/13 8:53 PM, William Chan (陈智昌) wrote:
> 5. Prompt the user:
>

>         Accept using gateway-name to access http://awebsite.com/ and
>         other web
>         sites in ingoing-http2-mode ?
>
>         [check reformatted access rules] [see help page] [see certificate]
>
>            [ ] Prompt for other web sites and security modes
>            ( ) only for this session ( ) all the time
>            (*) only from here        ( ) everywhere
>                                                   [Yes] [No]
>

>     My mother would call me if she got that. My daughter would quickly
>     learn that clicking "Yes" after unchecking the "Prompt" box and
>     selecting "everywhere" makes the prompt go away and not come back.
>     IOW it would make the Internet work.
>

> <pushback>
> I can probably expect to be tarred and feathered by my security team
> if I tell them we need to put up a UI asking the end user to make a
> decision about security :)
> </pushback>

Especially if you ask the end user at the worst possible time - when
you're in their way to finish something they've already begun. So I've
decided to read my gmail, and I typed "mail.google.com", and I'm
expecting my message list to appear in a second. And now you tell me to
stop everything and answer some question about some proxy?