Re: What will incentivize deployment of explicit proxies?

firefox uses the OS proxy config by default with the exception that we
don't honor the OS WPAD setting, cause experience has shown that it is an
easy way to get owned when you're traveling. Like most everything, it is
configurable.

better proxy detection would be handy for better error reporting, better
auth handling, etc.. I agree. Doing this browser to proxy communication
over TLS would be good, I agree with that too. (This is what Will calls
https proxies.. I've got a patchset for firefox half written for it.)

The problem with these explicit MITM proposals is that they also propose to
terminate https:// at the proxy, and that shouldn't happen. Sure lots of
people are already MITM'd by root cert annotations today - but not
everybody. I don't want to spread that particular affliction.

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 6:21 AM, William Chan (陈智昌) <willchan@chromium.org>wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 1:49 AM, Yoav Nir <synp71@live.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/12/13 10:28 AM, Roberto Peon wrote:
>>

>>>         For enterprises, the new trend is apparently to allow users to
>>>         use their personal devices. These devices would be outside the
>>>         normal administrative chain and would likely cause headaches.
>>>

>>>     I agree using personal devices would likely cause headaches. But
>>>     you're not saying explicit proxies solves this somehow, do you? If
>>>     so, I missed it.
>>>

>>> Enterprises like these have three choices:
>>> 1) Disallow access to such devices
>>> 2) Force users to install root certs