Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-snell-httpbis-keynego-01.txt

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Stephen Farrell
<stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> wrote:

> So I finally had a chance to read this draft.

Appreciate you taking a look...

> I think the ideas are interesting, and it'd be good if HTTP/2.0
> was extensible so that future work in this direction could be
> explored. Perhaps if the WG do work on supporting proxies, then
> room for this as an extension to that could be found.
>
> However, today, this is nowhere near ready to be put up as an
> alternative to TLS in any respect. Its not even in the ballpark.

To be certain, providing a replacement for TLS is certainly not the
intent this early in the game. At this point, this is an experiment
only.

> I figure by the time this got properly worked out, (in maybe a
> year or more) it'd be very like GSS-API without the API, but
> probably as complex. Now that might be interesting actually and
> maybe we could do GSS-API context token handling better this
> time around. Or maybe we wouldn't.
>
> I'm also quite unsure how the server side of this would work.
> With whom would the browser be negotiating? The web server or
> some web application? That wasn't clear to me and might make
> a big difference in terms of trust models, how the web-origin
> plays into the game and in terms of the liklihood of server
> side deployment happening.

The negotiation is with the origin... whatever that means. Typically,
that would imply that it's handled by the web server.

> The "algorithm" header field seems to have the same benefits
> and pitfalls as TLS ciphersuites, but goes beyond that to also
> codify the handshake protocol and the security framing. I think
> I kinda like that, and would go further and let that also
> determine if some header-field values are also input to the
> security framing. (E.g. the web-origin could be input to any
> MAC calculation for some "algorithm" header field values.)
> There's fun to be had there.

Yes, indeed. There are quite a few possibilities. The more exotic we
get, here, however, the more unanswered questions there are. Fun yes,
but could be quite complicated.

> The security properties of the framing are not even defined yet.
> I guess it'd be something like ESP or the TLS application data
> protocol, but the algorithm thing above means that those can
> vary by algorithm. I'm not sure if that's a good plan since it'd
> mean that you have to understand each algorithm to understand
> the security properties of payloads. In other words, there could
> be value in flexibility in terms of how you negotiate a session
> key, but not in the security framing for payloads. One to

The more I look at it, I think I agree. Having a defined structure for
secured DATA frame payloads would be the best approach. The one
drawback is that DATA frames used for HTTP traffic are limited to a
particular size... I want to try avoiding using too much of that up on
security overhead.

- James