Re: Getting our definitions of encryption straight for the HTTP/2 security discussion

On 20/11/13 11:24 PM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> Greetings again. Over the past weeks, people are sometimes talking
> past each other when they say they want to "always encrypt" HTTP/2
> traffic. In specific, many people have used the term "opportunistic
> encryption" in very different ways without knowing it.
>
> To help people at least understand what each other might be saying in
> the future, I created a page with some definitions that hopefully
> everyone can use. Comments are welcome.
>
> http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/wiki/encryption-definitons
>
> --Paul Hoffman
Too bad Authenticated Encryption has another meaning, but I think this
terminology is clear enough.

But your 'best effort' and the one for 'opportunistic' seem to be such
that encryption always happens, but it could be authenticated or
unauthenticated. We need a term for a process where encryption may or
may not happen, and if it does, it may or may not be authenticated.

Yoav