Re: Call for Proposals re: #314 HTTP2 and http:// URIs on the "open" internet

Willy,

On Nov 20, 2013, at 10:11 AM, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:
>> so doing a GET that advertises the capability (without the Connection:
>> upgrade header) and following up with an OPTIONS request when the server?s
>> response also includes Upgrade: HTTP/2.0 might be the best we can reliably do
>> (but still a lot better than opening dozens of parallel connections to get
>> the page?s linked resources?)
>
> In my opinion, advertising the capability will not provide anything since
> the problematic devices are the non-compliant ones which will ignore your
> advertisement. Upgrade easily allows both ends to agree on what they both
> support, they just don't know that there's some crap in the middle.

Well, if the server’s Upgrade header is filtered, and/or if the server only includes the Upgrade header if the client (or intermediate proxy) supplies it, then we don’t have an interoperability/compatibility problem - with my proposed delay-upgrade strategy the client only attempts to upgrade when the response from the server indicates that it supports HTTP/2.0.

I’ll see what I can find out with the proxies you mentioned to determine what level of functionality is available with current software - broken, HTTP/1.1 only, or compatible w/HTTP/2.0.