Re: Call for Proposals re: #314 HTTP2 and http:// URIs on the "open" internet

Willy,

On Nov 20, 2013, at 4:03 AM, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:
> Note that I'm regularly reading here that Upgrade always wastes a
> round trip, which is wrong. First, when the browser knows that the
> destination supports Upgrade, it can send the payload immediately
> after the headers. Second, 101 is an interim response meaning that
> the complete response is supposed to follow. So if you send something
> like "OPTIONS * HTTP/1.1\r\nUpgrade: HTTP/2.0\r\n..." it will need
> a round trip because we won't get any data with 101. But if you send
> "GET / HTTP/1.1\r\nUpgrade: 2.0\r\n", the server must reply to this
> request and provide the contents. The response can very well look
> exactly like a server push in practice, in that from a 2.0 point
> of view, the server sends first.

It is my understanding from prior comments that the GET-with-upgrade method does not work with some/many proxies (I’m still waiting to hear which ones…), so doing a GET that advertises the capability (without the Connection: upgrade header) and following up with an OPTIONS request when the server’s response also includes Upgrade: HTTP/2.0 might be the best we can reliably do (but still a lot better than opening dozens of parallel connections to get the page’s linked resources…)