Re: Things we know and can hopefully agree upon w.r.t. the state of the web today.

I think the paper "Tussle in Cyberspace" (2002)[1] is a good reminder of
the points in your list.

<quote>
"This paper explores one important reality that surrounds the Internet
today: different stakeholders that are part of the Internet milieu have
interests that may be adverse to each other, and these parties each vie to
favor their particular interests. We call this process “the tussle”. Our
position is that accommodating this tussle is crucial to the evolution of
the network’s technical architecture."
</quote>

Let's focus on enabling the "tussle."

[1] http://groups.csail.mit.edu/ana/Publications/PubPDFs/Tussle2002.pdf