Re: TLS at transport level vs stream multiplexing and aggregation (http "routers")

I think this is an interesting concept.  We did consider a number of
scenarios like this for SPDY as well - with a small amount of extra
certificate/meta data changes you could do it.

But you should probably try to garner some implementation experience with
it.  There are a lot of details.  I'm also unclear what the goals would be.

Thinking larger - I agree with you that TLS is at the wrong layer.  We've
wedged it into the application space and transport layers today.  You're
advocating moving it up a layer.   Whereas I would actually move it down a
layer :-)  Today our transport is vulnerable to numerous types of attacks.
 I think Dan Bernstein has it right with his layering in curvecp (
http://curvecp.org/) and the minion guys have some proposals that lean this
way as well.

The problem is that if your control structures are exposed in an
unauthenticated and unencrypted manner, then anyone can hijack/DoS any
connection very easily.  But this is a much larger change than HTTP/2.

Mike