Re: HTTP/2.0 protocol identifier string (#323)

On 17/11/2013 6:31 p.m., Martin Thomson wrote:
> Patrick has generously provided us with a pull request.
>
> https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/pull/323
>
> ""
> TLS Client Hello's between 256 and 512 bytes need to be rounded up to
> 512 for compatibility reasons. This incents us to keep Client Hello
> parameters as small as possible to avoid the rounding - this change
> shortens the ALPN token of HTTP/2.0 to be simply "h2"
> ""
>
> Those who have been following the ALPN drama might find this
> attractive.  Does anyone find this change objectionable?

Abbreviating this far and with the ALPN guys not wanting to use binary
token prohibits ALPN being used for sub-versions of HTTP/2.x.
 Do we consider that to be a good or bad thing?

Where can we find the details substantiating those claims of backward
compatibility and that the "HTTP/2.0" string is causing trouble?

What is ALPN requiring of the other protocols to meet this problem?

What is expected to happen with other h* / H* protocols?
 HTCP-over-TLS for example?

Amos