Re: HTTP 2.0 mandatory security vs. Amateur Radio

All,

A proposal:

1. Include a discussion of proxy issues inherent in running HTTP/2.0 over plaintext: unreliable, undiscoverable, etc.

2. Include a discussion of common TLS issues - mostly pointers to the appropriate RFCs - that honestly talks about the concerns that have been expressed on this list.

3. Require client and server to support both http:// (with upgrade) and https:// (with ALPN)

4. Place a requirement on public-facing HTTP/2.0 servers: MUST NOT advertise HTTP/2.0 support in response headers, MUST NOT support HTTP/2.0 upgrade. This defines a concrete way to actually “enforce” the use of HTTP/2.0 w/TLS *or* HTTP/1.1 w/o TLS (depending on the client/network capabilities) instead of hand waving and putting the onus on clients to guess whether a connection is local or over the public web.

5. Define/reference a mechanism that allows a HTTP server to advertise that it supports access via https:// - there is at least one draft for this, but this allows a client/user agent to opportunistically use https:// over http://. (For the general case this may not be needed - try connecting on port 443 first, or in parallel with port 80…)

Thoughts?