Re: Moving forward on improving HTTP's security

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Michael Sweet <msweet@apple.com> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> On Nov 14, 2013, at 1:22 PM, Mike Belshe <mike@belshe.com> wrote:
>
> Printers can just use HTTP/1.1 if they don't want to use TLS, just like they
> can use HTTP/1.0 if they don't support HTTP/1.1
>

> No, actually, they can't use HTTP/1.0 if they do IPP.  IPP mandates a
> minimum of HTTP/1.1 (for chunking, among other reasons).

I personally find this "Printers can just use HTTP/1.1" attitude to be
extremely arrogant. Forcing the use of TLS adds absolutely nothing to
the base function of HTTP/2 and there is no part of HTTP/2
functionality that depends on anything TLS provides.

- James