relax SHOULD send Last-Modified?, was: APPSDIR review of draft-ietf-httpbis-p4-conditional-24

On 2013-11-04 07:45, Ray Polk wrote:
> 2) relax SHOULD to MAY for Last-Modified when ETag is also supplied in the following sections:
>
> 2.2.1. Generation
> "An origin server SHOULD send Last-Modified for any selected representation for which a last modification date can be reasonably and consistently determined,"

...and it continues with...

"...since its use in conditional requests and evaluating cache freshness
([Part6]) results in a substantial reduction of HTTP traffic on the
Internet and can be a significant factor in improving service
scalability and reliability..."

I believe that's the reason why it is a SHOULD.

Best regards, Julian