Re: Question on flow control for a single file transfer

I feel like a key thing people have missed here is the API.

TCP kernel flow control API: stop calling read(), let kernel buffers build
up. Problem is that you are not allowed to read data that may be sitting in
the kernel buffers, just because you want to assert flow control. But if an
application protocol like HTTP/2 *requires* you to read data from the
socket, then this is broken. You *must* read data from the socket to
process control frames promptly, or else things may break. Not processing
WINDOW_UPDATEs may lead to data transfer deadlocks. Not processing PING
frames may lead to the peer terminating the connection, since they may be
using PING frames as a liveness check. And if you don't respond to the
PING, then the peer will think the connection is dead and tear down the
transport connection.

HTTP/2 API: everything's going to typically be in userspace. You can assert
HTTP/2 level flow control and still process all data available on the
socket. This is a more powerful API. The problem is flow control window
sizing is a hard problem. Don't use it unless you have to :)