Re: additional mechanisms on top of the auth framework, was: SECDIR review of draft-ietf-httpbis-p7-auth-24

* Julian Reschke wrote:
>On 2013-10-29 20:35, Stephen Kent wrote:
> > Later on page 6 the text says:
>>
>> The HTTP protocol does not restrict applications to this simple
>> challenge-response framework for access authentication.Additional
>> mechanisms MAY be used, such as encryption at the transport level or
>> via message encapsulation, and with additional header fields
>> specifying authentication information.However, such additional
>> mechanisms are not defined by this specification.
>>
>> Encryption is not, per se, an authentication mechanism. Please revise
>> this text.
>
>OK. Maybe:
>
>"HTTP does not restrict applications to this simple challenge-response
>framework. Additional mechanisms can be used, such as additional header
>fields carrying authentication information, or encryption on the
>transport layer in order to provide confidentiality. However, such
>additional mechanisms are not defined by this specification."
>
>?

I think doing s/encryption/authentication/ instead would be better.
There is no reason to discuss confidentiality here. Encryption and other
cryptographic techniques are used in many authentication schemes, like
with client certificates; that may have been the idea behind the text.