Re: Does idempotence include the response codes?

On 2013-10-15 19:43, cowwoc wrote:
> Hi,
>
>      Can the authors officially weigh in on the meaning of "idempotent"
> with response to response codes? Do idempotent methods have to return
> the same response code in the face of multiple invocations? Or are they
> allowed to return different response codes so long as the state is not
> modified by subsequent requests? See
> http://stackoverflow.com/q/741192/14731 for the discussion that fueled
> this question.

I'll repeat what I said over there:

No, "effect" is not intended to cover the response as well. What you
propose is that DELETE either always must pass ("200") or fail ("404" or
"410"), no matter what the state of the server is. This doesn't make any
sense and furthermore doesn't help the client at all.

>      PS: It would be nice if the spec officially clarified this point as
> I've seen it brought up again and again in different discussions.

I personally believe it's clear enough, as the other interpretation
frankly doesn't make any sense.

That being said, what do others think?

Best regards, Julian