Re: [tsvwg] The List (of application-layer desired features)

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu> wrote:

> On 9/4/2013 3:20 PM, William Chan (陈智昌) wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Michael Tuexen
>> <Michael.Tuexen@lurchi.**franken.de <Michael.Tuexen@lurchi.franken.de>
>> <mailto:Michael.Tuexen@lurchi.**franken.de<Michael.Tuexen@lurchi.franken.de>>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>     On Sep 4, 2013, at 9:43 PM, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com
>>     <mailto:grmocg@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>      > I suspect that Yuchung meant 'widely deployed and available',
>>     when he says 'always'. That should certainly be true for TCP.
>>     That is definitely true for TCP.
>>     However, why do you need an alternate solution to be "widely
>>     deployed". Can't it
>>     be deployed within the browser?
>>

>> I think people are being too imprecise which leads to confusion. UDP is
>> widely deployed. A UDP based solution can be deployed within the
>> browser. TCP-AO is not widely deployed. It cannot be deployed within the
>> browser.
>>

> Although that's correct, there's no way to protect UDP. TCP-AO is for
> protecting individual TCP connections; if that's what you want, you need to
> update TCP.
>
> My point about TCP-AO is that it's not useful to continue to complain that
> something isn't widely deployed. If you need what it has, then why not
> start by helping deploy it? Then at least there's one less thing to
> complain about being missing in a few years.

So I actually don't think my browser needs TCP-AO, so that's probably a bad
example. But in any case, I don't know what I can do to help get it
deployed. Are you suggesting I periodically email Microsoft to ask them to
update their kernel networking stack to support it in their OS? What help
would you like from me here?