Re: Expect: + Upgrade: = ...

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 10:39:58 +0200 (CEST)
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
On Tue, 3 Sep 2013, Martin Thomson wrote:

> I think that the direction we were heading was something like: 100-continue
> + HTTP/2.0 = no.

Yes. I don't have any big problem with that other than the fact that when I
introduce http2 support to curl, it will make the request act a little
different if the user asks for it to go over http2 rather than using vanilla
http - for the rare servers that actually does something sensible with
100-continue...

A command line example to a server that rejects a POST would be:

   curl --http2.0 -d @largishfile http://example.org/

vs

   curl --http1.1 -d @largishfile http://example.org/

This client can't have any prior knowledge about HTTP2 support and this is a
POST done as first request with large body...

The effect seems to risk a little more data waste in the HTTP+upgrade case.

I won't lose any sleep over it. =)

--

  / daniel.haxx.se