Re: Proposal to measure end-user latency

On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 17:32:04 +0200, Sébastien BARNOUD
<sebastien.barnoud@prologism.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've carefully read the goals of HTTP 2.0 and the present draft (version
> 6).
> I would like to propose the following idea to the WG : Measure the
> end-user
> perceived latency by including in the protocol the ability to send to the
> server the response time measured by the client application.
> Of course, the related additional message will introduce some overhead.
> Thus, this feature could be optional and driven by some headers fields or
> other means.
> The benefit will be to correlate server and client elapsed time for
> monitoring purpose and to evaluate the end-user perceived response time.
> Today, this kind of measurement is achieved at the application layer and
> sent to dedicated sites. My proposal is to introduce, directly in the
> protocol, a mean to send this information back to the server.

Exactly what are you measuring though? If it is the delivery of a specific
resource, TCP gives a good view of that. If you are talking about multiple
resources aggregated into a "page", then you pretty much need to measure
it at application layer, because you need a definition of "page" (and
"done").

/Martin Nilsson