Proposal to measure end-user latency

From: Sébastien BARNOUD <sebastien.barnoud@prologism.fr>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 17:32:04 +0200
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Hi,

I've carefully read the goals of HTTP 2.0 and the present draft (version 6).

I would like to propose the following idea to the WG : Measure the end-user
perceived latency by including in the protocol the ability to send to the
server the response time measured by the client application.

Of course, the related additional message will introduce some overhead.
Thus, this feature could be optional and driven by some headers fields or
other means.

The benefit will be to correlate server and client elapsed time for
monitoring purpose and to evaluate the end-user perceived response time.

Today, this kind of measurement is achieved at the application layer and
sent to dedicated sites. My proposal is to introduce, directly in the
protocol, a mean to send this information back to the server.

Best regards,

Sebastien Barnoud