Re: Mandatory encryption *is* theater

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 09:59:05 -0700
To: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc: William Chan (ι™ˆζ™Ίζ˜Œ) <willchan@chromium.org>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>
On 27 August 2013 04:32, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> I tend to prefer the words "privacy" and "secrecy" myself, exactly
> because "encryption" is such a catch-all concept that you never quite
> know what people actually mean.

I'm not sure that you get either of those properties.  Not without a
lot of other things being just right at the same time.  That's why I
think it would be wise to avoid those particular words.

And even talking about confidentiality and integrity is misleading.
They might be better choices, even if you don't know specifically who
the confidentiality property extends to.