Re: :scheme and CONNECT method

It would be changing the semantics of UPGRADE to be stream instead of
connection, but yes.
The main source of complexity here is that one cannot jettison the HTTP/2
parsing, etc. state machine when one gets an UPGRADE, but must concatenate
the state machines.

I can understand use-cases for wanting to do these kinds of things (e.g. if
TLS 1.3 doesn't happen or doesn't have an encrypted handshake and proxies
are mucking with the list of negotiated protocols).

Alternately, it could mean for the entire connection, but that has its own
uglyness-- the server would likely want to hold off on doing the upgrade
until after it has served the responses to the requests...
Anyway you cut it, there is some uglyness here.
-=R