The List (of application-layer desired features)

From: Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 01:14:09 -0700
To: tsvg@ietf.org, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
For those of you who missed it, at the HTTPBis/TSVG joint session, a
question about what applications want from the transport (I really want to
put quotes around that) came up.

Here is a rendition of what was on the note that I jotted down in response
to this question, and which I passed to people at the mic.

(Apps-folks want the following) Deployed in 1996:
- Prioritization
- Partial Reliability
- "Shared" congestion between multiple streams
- Security
- No HOL blocking on stream X when loss on stream Y
- Cheap/Fast  channel/connection setup
- Wide, "safe" deployment
- Competes with TCP/HTTP/1.1 (performance-wise)
- Multipath/roaming robustness, i.e. the "driveway" problem

I'll reiterate that by far the most important feature is "is deployed".
Nothing else matters until that is true, at least at the application-layer.
-=R