Re: HTTP router point-of-view concerns

From: Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@laposte.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 12:41:42 +0000 (UTC)
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Yoav Nir <ynir@...> writes:

> There will come a day when we can say that HTTP/1.1 is only for legacy
applications, and that it's fine to make
> sweeping changes only in HTTP/2.0 (or perhaps introduce them in HTTP/3.0).
That day is not today, and if

(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2013JulSep/0284.html)
> includes prohibiting cookies on HTTP/2.0. This directly conflicts with
this working group's goal of
> creating a protocol that is a drop-in replacement for HTTP/1.1.

There is zero need to strictly forbid cookies in HTTP/2.0. As long as
HTTP/2.0 provides a better replacement, cookies can still exist in the
protocol as deprecated feature, and social pressures (like the EU decision)
will effectively kill them in time. Lots of bad ideas on the web have been
killed this way without needing spec removal.

If the replacement is good, and if no one tries to mitigate cookie pain in
http/2.0 (via compression for example), cookies will disappear by
themselves. Starting in cookie blocker browser extensions (that will only
allow the new method).

--
Nicolas Mailhot