Re: HTTP router point-of-view concerns

On Jul 13, 2013, at 11:41 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> In message <29B4ED34-8A7F-477F-AC80-47BC2205198F@checkpoint.com>, Yoav Nir writ
> es:
>
>> It's more than procedural. Whatever is wrong with the use of cookies to
>> manage sessions is wrong in HTTP/1.x just as much as it is in /2.0.
>
> Yes, that's why we should solve the problem in HTTP/2.0 and make the
> protocol so good that people will desire to migrate because it is
> simply better.

Better, but requires a lot of work to deploy. This runs the risk of repeating the IPv6 experience. We make it too different, and people will not want to deploy it.

IPv6 was rotting on the vine for 15 years before deployment started in earnest. And that happened only because IPv4 addresses were finally running out and all the NAT bandaids were not enough.

I don't see any scarce resource in HTTP/1.1 that will force people to switch to HTTP/2.0.  Just because something's better does not mean that migration is worth the effort.

Yoav