Re: HTTP router point-of-view concerns

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 20:28:13 +0000
To: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
cc: Sam Pullara <spullara@gmail.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
In message <20130713193052.GP32054@1wt.eu>, Willy Tarreau writes:

>Yes. Client picks a random session ID with the highest 16 bits = 0,
>sends the request to the first server. The load balancer overthere
>puts the DC ID and the local server ID in these bits and sends this
>ID back to the client along with the response. When upon a subsequent
>request the client is directed to a different DC, the information
>about the location of the client's context is found and the context
>can be retrieved.

Thanks!  Now I understand the goal.

It's unclear to me if it is a good idea to make part of the
session identifier, or if it should be a separate field, but
I really like the basic idea.