Alternative Header Compression Update..

From: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 17:40:02 -0700
To: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
All,

Even tho we decided at the face-to-face to move forward with the
header compression draft as the starting point with header compression
in http/2 for the implementation draft, I definitely remain skeptical
of the overall design of the scheme. I have voiced my reservations in
the past and after implementing the current header compression scheme,
my reservations about it's design remain.

Combining elements of my previous explorations here with ideas from
the current header compression draft, I have posted another update to
the "Stored Header Encoding" draft.

  http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-snell-httpbis-bohe-11.txt

This details an alternative scheme that ditches the differential
encoding and the reference set, uses a fixed range of header table
indices (0x00-FF), and uses a least-recently-written eviction strategy
without renumbering. This approach is significantly less complicated
to implement at the cost of only a small handful of additional bytes
on the wire.

- James