Re: HTTP/2.0 -04 candidate

From: Albert Lunde <atlunde@panix.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 11:43:46 -0500
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 7/2/2013 10:57 AM, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 2 July 2013 06:21, Albert Lunde <atlunde@panix.com> wrote:
>> A case where this could become less obvious might be a server or cluster of
>> servers offering a number of name-based virtual hosts. It's fairly common
>> for a virtual host to have two or four aliases.
>
> Name-based virtual hosting is a feature that I know some people want
> to support, but HTTP/2.0 in its current form does not support that
> feature.  As specified, name-based virtual hosting will depend on
> having a connection for each name, the TLS SNI extension to select the
> name and a matching certificate.

Part of that restriction is based on the (intended) properties of TLS,
and thus HTTPS.

Is the something about HTTP/2.0 that rules out name-based virtual
hosting on port 80, as practiced with HTTP/1.1, or is this just a
restriction of what kind of requests can be multiplexed on one TCP
connection?

A concrete use case I can think of would be pushing out image and style
files used in the standard organization style. A different use case
would be referencing URLs from a content distribution network.

(I used to run a Apache server that was the "web server of last resort"
for a number of university departments, with about a hundred virtual
host names.)

--
     Albert Lunde  albert-lunde@northwestern.edu
                   atlunde@panix.com  (address for personal mail)