Re: WGLC p6 4.2.1

------ Original Message ------
From: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To: "Adrien W. de Croy" <adrien@qbik.com>
Cc: "Amos Jeffries" <squid3@treenet.co.nz>; "ietf-http-wg@w3.org"
<ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Sent: 19/03/2013 1:05:11 a.m.
Subject: Re: WGLC p6 4.2.1

>>>Uhm, so you're saying I can clean the entire cache with bogos IMS
>>>requests ?
>>
>>that's not the point.
>
>It very much is: A cache would have to be stupid to make that
>assumption, and we should not be protecting stupid mistakes with
>the specification, we should make things work.
it was just one example.  There are potentially limitless ones.

fundamentally, we're changing the semantics.

Do we even know what that may break?

I don't recall seeing a discussion about it on list, but maybe it was
discussed in a meeting.

>No matter what you write in the specification, you will have IMS
>headers with non-server-supplied timestamps, because it is possible
>and there are legitimate use-cases.
I agree it's possible, I'm not sure about the use-cases. at least not
the one you mentioned before.

Sending If-Modified-Since currently indicates you have a copy.  So we're
looking to break that too?

A cache needs to know which version is being re-validated, whether its
own or the clients.  It's probably not a train wreck, but it's
convoluted enough trying to figure out what on earth is going on when
you get a 304 back and you were checking multiple items, some with ETag
some with IMS.

I never got a straight answer on my query about whether it's valid to
send a 304 back to a request that contained If-None-Match with a
different ETag.  Personally I consider that a server bug as well.

>We can discuss if the text expresses this optimally, but there is
>no way the text can put this particular genie back in his bottle.
I think we will need to make further changes, to refer to these changes
elsewhere in the spec, e.g. where it's discussed that to make a
conditional request one adds If-Modified-Since using the content of a
previous Last-Modified response header.