Re: Stateful compression of cookies (Re: Delta Compression and UTF-8 Header Values)

--------
In message <CAK3OfOhGoQ0HtMu4HRo5kne1fgwDkzU6AHceCUTPHEXXW5HypQ@mail.gmail.com>
, Nico Williams writes:
>On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 1:20 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

>> If somebody needs 8k of storage for each browser that visits their
>> website, they can bloody well buy their own disks...
>
>It's a common implementation pattern.  I'm not ready to tell
>application implementors to stop doing this.
>
>It's not just the disk space, but also the need to fetch it and the
>need to distribute it across related servers.  Using the client to do
>this has some benefits.

... for the server, yes.

And a lot of disadvantages for the client, such as not having your
context coming along to a different computer, privacy, bandwidth etc.

I'm a big beliver in making disadvantages follow advantages, and
therefore the servers should bear this cost.

>(Also, a note about small session IDs: they can't be so small as to be
>guessable.  32-bit session IDs would be a disaster.  I think I'd not
>feel comfortable with session IDs smaller than 96-bits.)

Sure, 128 bits would be a minimum, 256 should be enough.